The City of Kannapolis offers a competitive and rewarding work environment, a place where individuals can really make a difference in the workplace and the community. When asked what they like the most about their employment with the City of Kannapolis, without fail employees name their co-workers, the opportunities to learn and advance within their chosen career, and being able to make a difference in the community. Our employees pride themselves on rising to the challenge and performing their jobs to the best of their abilities. They are active in the community in a variety of ways, supporting the local school system, local community charities, and national charities such as Muscular Dystrophy, United Way of the Carolinas, Cooperative Christian Ministries, and American Red Cross, among others.
The City offers a competitive compensation program, generous leave benefits that allow employees to balance their many family and life responsibilities while still providing excellent service to the citizens of our community, excellent benefits, and a wellness program that recently placed Fifth in the medium sized category of Healthiest Employers of Greater Charlotte.
APPLYING FOR EMPLOYMENT
Applications for employment are only accepted for advertised job opportunities. Applications are not accepted when there is no advertised job opportunity. Unsolicited applications and/or resumes will be retained in accordance with the City’s records retention schedule; however, applicants will be required to resubmit the application when the requested job opportunity is advertised.
Persons interested in working with the City of Kannapolis should visit the Open Positions page frequently and follow the instructions below for applying for positions.
Police Officer Recruitment
Persons who are interested in employment as a police officer with the City of Kannapolis must first pass an initial written exam that is administered by the Kannapolis Police Department. Review the employment page frequently for notice of test dates, times and instructions for scheduling a test appointment.
Upon successful completion of this basic exam, you will be invited to complete the employment application and the Authorization for Release of Personal Information to Law Enforcement Agencies for Certification / Employment Purposes notice. All exams are administered at the Kannapolis Police Department, which is located at 314 S. Main Street. Seating for the exam is limited to 30 per testing period. Individuals may repeat the exam as needed. For more information about police officer recruitment, please go to the Police Department Recruitment page.
Applications for fire fighter are accepted when a position vacancy is advertised. The application process includes the completion of an employment application, written exam, physical agility assessment and a structured interview. Visit the Fire Department Recruitment page for additional information.
Steps to follow when considering employment with the City of Kannapolis:
- Review the job description to determine if you are qualified for the position. The job description contains a general description of the job duties, physical requirements to perform the job, the experience and training required, special requirements for licenses or certifications, and knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the job duties.
- Complete and sign the online employment application or the paper employment application (pdf). Applications are carefully screened and are used to identify candidates who are best suited for the position. To be considered for employment, an applicant must meet the minimum requirements for the position.
- Submit the completed application to Human Resources, PO Box 1199, Kannapolis, NC 28082 or deliver it to 246 Oak Avenue, Kannapolis, NC 28081 during normal business hours. Applications are accepted only when there is an open recruitment for the position.
- Applications must be received by the Human Resources Office no later than 5 PM on the recruitment deadline. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered even if postmarked prior to the deadline.
- Applications are referred to the hiring department within 3 business days after the recruitment deadline. When the position is filled, all applicants not hired will be notified of their status.
- The City of Kannapolis is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants are assured equal employment opportunity without regard to race, religion, creed, national origin, age, sex, marital status, or disability. Right to Work English Right to Work Spanish
- The City of Kannapolis uses E-verify to confirm employment eligibility all newly hired individuals. Everify Poster English Everify Poster Spanish
- Thorough background investigations are conducted on all applicants being considered for employment. The investigation may include verifying information contained on the employment application, contacting previous employers, contacting references provided by the applicant and others, driving history, criminal history, and credit history, depending upon the type of position.
- Applicants extended a conditional offer of employment may be subject to other medical testing and will be subject to pre-employment drug testing.