Residential zoning permits are required for:

  • New construction
  • Manufactured homes
  • Modular homes
  • Addition to a house
  • Placing or constructing sheds, outbuildings, or any other accessory structure on a residential parcel
  • Pools
  • Constructing a deck/patio/porch etc.
  • Home occupations

Waivers are free of charge and are issued for:

Demolition Permits and interior and exterior renovations which do not result in changes to the footprint of the home. (A permit may be required from Cabarrus County Building Inspections or Rowan County Building Inspections for certain types of renovations.)

How to apply for a Residential Zoning Compliance Permit:

  1. Check water and sewer availability for new development.To determine if water or sewer is available for your property, contact J. Lynn Kerley or Wendy Patterson with Public Works at 704-920-4200. Be sure to provide the address or Parcel Identification Number (PIN) for your site.
  2. Check the zoning designation of the property. City of Kannapolis Zoning Map – Updated February 2013  (Note: Changes can occur to the zoning map periodically. We recommend confirming the zoning designation for the property with a Planner before starting any projects.)
  3. Determine if the proposed use is allowed under the zoning designation of the property. Table 4.6-1 Principle Uses Permitted in Zoning Districts identifies all uses and the zoning districts they are allowed in. There are three possible categories:
    1. Permitted by Right (P)
    2. Permitted with Supplemental Standards (P/S)
    3. Conditional Use with or without Supplemental Standards (C or C/S)
  4. Fill out the Zoning Clearance Permit Application.
  5. Prepare a plot plan showing the location of property lines, existing and proposed structures, required setbacks and any other pertinent information.
  6. Submit the application, plot plan, and applicable fee(s) to the Planning Department at 118 South Main Street, Kannapolis, NC. Residential zoning permits will be processed within 2 business days of receipt, provided the application is complete.Permits are issued Monday through Friday from 8am to 4:30pm.
  7. For subdivisions (divisions of a parcel of land into two or more lots), you will need to go through the Subdivision Review Process prior to applying for a zoning complaince permit.
  8. For any questions regarding residential zoning permits or ordinance requirements, please call the Community Development Department at 704-933-5999 x2 to speak with a Planner or send your inquiry to mailto:planneroncall@benchmarkplanning.com. Specific contact information is available on the Development Contacts page.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who do I contact for information regarding building permits?
    • If you live within the city limits of Kannapolis, including parts of Rowan County, call Cabarrus County Building Inspections Department at 704.920.2128.
    • If you live in the extra-territorial jurisdiction (ETJ) of Kannapolis, call Rowan County Building Inspections Department at 704.216.8619.
    • If you are unsure which Building Inspections Department to contact, please call the Planning Department at 704.933.5999 x2 to speak with a planner.
  • Do I need a zoning permit for demolition of a structure?
    The City issues a waivers for demolitions. A demolition application must be filled out and submitted to the Kannapolis Planning Department for review and approval. Once the application has been approved, the City will issue a waiver to the applicant that must be taken to the County who issues a demolition permit. The County will not issue a demolition permit unless the required waiver from the Kannapolis Planning Department is presented.  Waivers are free of charge and are issued at the Planning Department office (118 S. Main St.) Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm.
  • How can I find out what a property is zoned?
    You may contact the Planning Department at 704.933.5999 x2 to speak with a Planner or email your request to Planner on Call. They will be able to advise you of the zoning classification for the parcel and any overlay districts (watersheds, floodplains, etc.) that apply to the parcel. Please provide an address or parcel identification number (PIN) to the Planner on call in order to identify the property in question.
  • How can I find out what the setbacks are for a property?

If you cannot find what you are looking for on this website, please use the links on the left menu bar to contact our department or email us at Planner on Call to submit an inquiry.